Skip to main content

Ol Pejeta - the first few days

We finally arrived at Ol Pejeta Conservancy on a late Sunday afternoon. It feels a little like returning to a second home, although it's been a while - last time I was here (except for one overnight last summer to have meetings to set up this summer's field season) was 2011, when I was pregnant with Toby! Here's a few photos from our first few days.

We stopped on the equator sign to take some photos during our drive to where we're staying.

Toby, me, Fire, Kari, and Ella on the equator sign

Fire and Ella walking on the equator


Me and Toby on the equator

On the way we passed impala, gazelle, zebras, and elephants - I am the driver so I don't get much of an opportunity to take pictures, but I'll try to get some good animal photos in the next few weeks!

My favorite sign on the entire conservancy
We are staying at the Stables. This used to be a research center, but was converted to budget accommodation. That said, the people who stay at the Stables are often researchers - right now it's a group of people with their volunteer program.

A view of the Stables from the driveway



We're staying in one of the "self-contained" bandas - which I actually put in the funds to build in 2004! Yes, I actually owned a house in Kenya for a short time. The conservancy bought it back from me when it changed ownership. It's self-contained in the sense that it has a toilet, shower, and sink inside, but we eat all of our (delicious) meals communally in the main house. The main house (which used to be an actual horse stable) also has 6 rooms in it, with shared showers and toilets, and then there are two other bandas which are divided into 4 rooms each and use the showers and toilets on the end of the main house.


The banda where we're staying.

Another view of our banda

Despite July usually being dry, it rained hard during the afternoon of our first full day. Apparently the thatch roof dries out during the dry season, and sometimes leaks when it rains. Which is did. Thankfully nothing

Fire using a bucket to find and catch some of the drips coming through the thatch roof

Toby standing in the puddle that was in the toilet area after the rain

Toby is doing great getting used to the new setting, and new food.

Toby reading over lunch at the picnic table, with the tents set up at the Stables for volunteers and researchers in the background

Toby had an upset stomach on our second morning and stayed in bed resting for a while, but felt better later in the morning and ate his lunch with great enthusiasm

We've spent the first few days having meetings with conservancy staff, getting organized, and doing practice transects with our new digital data collectors to work out any bugs.

Having a research meeting at the picnic table

We are in a wildlife conservancy, and sometimes the wildlife comes right into the camp area. This time it was a troop of baboons who walked all around, raided the garbage area (one ran away with a huge head of cabbage), and played with some of the kitchen stuff that had been left out on a picnic table.

A large male baboon striding through camp

A baboon sitting and eating grass in front of one of the other bandas

A baboon checking out a salt shaker and a mug left out on a picnic table

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

D minus a week and a day

I'm leaving for my annual migration to Kenya soon, just like the wildebeest.... well, only there's a few million less of me than there are of them. Also, I'd like to think I run in a few less circles than they do, given that they spend their year basically making a big circle between Kenya and Tanzania in the Serengeti/Mara ecosystem (though that's debatable!). I'm going through my usual 'I'm leaving soon' routine: getting together with friends who want to spend a little time before I leave for a few months; making sure I can take care of all my (as my fab friend Fire calls it) "personal admin" online while I'm gone - banking, paying utilities, etc.; adding things to the duffel bag I keep stocked during the rest of the year with my 'going to Kenya' things. It's always hectic, and no matter how well I plan - and those of you who know me know I plan! - there's always a lot to do at the last minute. So it's D (departure) mi

moonshine (the celestial kind)

I was going to write about our excavations, but I had to change topics after the spectacular moonrise we had this evening. It's a full moon tonight (or nearly so), and early this evening this soft glowing orange orb was visible just above the horizon after sunset, rising ever higher, and becoming ever brighter, into the starry night sky. There is nothing like watching a moonrise in the African bush. I would have taken a picture of it after it rose, but I don't have the photographic expertise - here's one I took of the full moonrise last year. Last night, the moon was so bright that when I got up in the middle of the night to pee (a sign I'm keeping well hydrated!), it was casting shadows everywhere, and I didn't even need my flashlight. It's perfectly gorgeous. The moon isn't the only gorgeous thing here - beauty can be found growing delicately among the rocks, or singing a song in the trees, in the form of a colorful red and yellow barbet.

the ring

Since a few of you asked... it's not the greatest photo, but here it is. I love it!