Skip to main content

Final Fieldwork Week

We're home now - arrived yesterday. Our travel home was uneventful... well, except for running into my colleague René, his wife Susana, and their 5 year old son Andres in the Nairobi airport on the way home! René and Susana took Andres to the field in Mozambique for the first time this summer, and were on their way home to England after attending a conference in Nairobi. Toby and Andres got on like a house on fire, running around the waiting area together and calling to each other across the plane. It was very cute, and Toby kept talking about how much he enjoyed making a new friend. But back to our final week, which was pretty busy...

Here are some of the highlights of our last day off.


Toby imitating the gape of a hippo at "Hippo Hide", a place at Ol Pejeta where you can
walk along the banks of the Ewaso Nyiro River 

Kari, Ella, and Toby walking along the river

When I was doing my PhD research at Ol Pejeta, I offered to create some educational material for display at Hippo Hide (in exchange for a discount on some repair work on my vehicle). The hippo footprint outlines in the cement were still there!

We also visited the chimpanzee sanctuary - here's Toby reading one of the signs on the path there

Charles, the guide, was very patient with all of Toby's questions

Charles had actually done some experimental butchery research with me and another colleague when I was a PhD student there, so it was great to see him again!

We saw a snake for the first time during the field season in the chimp sanctuary - can you spot it?

That afternoon, our archaeologist friends John and Alison - who were staying at Sweetwaters Tented Camp for a few days after doing research in Nairobi for a few weeks - stopped by for a visit. Here they are with Ella and Fire.

After that, we dropped them back off at Tented Camp and stayed for a drink and snacks. Here Toby met a marabou stork for the first time.



Some other events that week:


Push starting the vehicle of tourists staying at the Stables - another first for Toby

Toby and cows

Isaack shooing a rhino away from the start of one of our transects
The superb starlings that hang around camp will eat your breakfast if you're not fast enough

We found a young (1-2 year old) black rhino mandible on one of our transects

One afternoon a group of Samburu randomly dropped by, had lunch, and did some dancing

The Samburu group with Fire and Kari (left), Toby (middle), and Ella (right)

Just some gorgeous morning light

Ella with a big stick bug on her arm on a transect

The coffee filtering system grew more elaborate as time went on - I am the only non-coffee drinker of our field team

Recently hatched yellow-necked spur fowl eggs seen on a transect

Fire (middle) and the rest of the team that day celebrating our last transect of the season

Me and Fire, triumphant and very sweaty after our last transect of the season

In case I haven't mentioned it yet, the food is really good. I mean, here we're having ICE CREAM in the field!!

Toby doing some more nature observations for school

Toby doing some more nature observations for school

Toby doing some more nature observations for school

On our last night, we went out and sat by a spotted hyena den. It was a real highlight of the trip! The cubs crawled all around and under our vehicle, and even chewed on it a bit.


It felt a little sad packing up on our last day, but I think we were all ready to go home.

Toby with some of the Stables staff, who kept saying he should just stay with them and offering to take care of him 


Isaack came by to say goodbye, and let Toby sit on his motorbike

Toby took a photo of the BONES team! (Ella, Fire, Isaack, Kari, and me)

Car packed and ready for the drive to Nairobi!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

D minus a week and a day

I'm leaving for my annual migration to Kenya soon, just like the wildebeest.... well, only there's a few million less of me than there are of them. Also, I'd like to think I run in a few less circles than they do, given that they spend their year basically making a big circle between Kenya and Tanzania in the Serengeti/Mara ecosystem (though that's debatable!). I'm going through my usual 'I'm leaving soon' routine: getting together with friends who want to spend a little time before I leave for a few months; making sure I can take care of all my (as my fab friend Fire calls it) "personal admin" online while I'm gone - banking, paying utilities, etc.; adding things to the duffel bag I keep stocked during the rest of the year with my 'going to Kenya' things. It's always hectic, and no matter how well I plan - and those of you who know me know I plan! - there's always a lot to do at the last minute. So it's D (departure) mi

moonshine (the celestial kind)

I was going to write about our excavations, but I had to change topics after the spectacular moonrise we had this evening. It's a full moon tonight (or nearly so), and early this evening this soft glowing orange orb was visible just above the horizon after sunset, rising ever higher, and becoming ever brighter, into the starry night sky. There is nothing like watching a moonrise in the African bush. I would have taken a picture of it after it rose, but I don't have the photographic expertise - here's one I took of the full moonrise last year. Last night, the moon was so bright that when I got up in the middle of the night to pee (a sign I'm keeping well hydrated!), it was casting shadows everywhere, and I didn't even need my flashlight. It's perfectly gorgeous. The moon isn't the only gorgeous thing here - beauty can be found growing delicately among the rocks, or singing a song in the trees, in the form of a colorful red and yellow barbet.

the ring

Since a few of you asked... it's not the greatest photo, but here it is. I love it!