Skip to main content

Fieldwork at Ol Pejeta: Bones, Animals, Armed Guards, and Glittering Poop

We've had several busy days doing fieldwork, but I finally found some time to download my photos and write a little bit about what we're doing. Basically, we're walking 1 kilometer transects looking for bones of modern animals on the ground; we're interested in comparing the "bone" community to the living animal community. Here are some photos of what we're up to.

We park our car by the side of the road before we walk transects

Ella showing the guard we had on our first day what she was writing down in her field notebook 

Buffalo crossing the road

Fire really excited at measuring her first bone of the season!

We also find a lot of animal poop on our transects. This is spotted hyena poop - you can tell because it's white from all the bones they eat.

We also often find footprints on our transects - these are cheetah footprints


Ella striking a pose with a buffalo skull we found on a transect

This is often my view on a transect - this is Kenny (left) and our main guard Isaack (right)

A giraffe crossing the road behind our car


The team walking a transect

Kari investigating a den - jackals, spotted hyenas, aardvarks, and warthogs all use these holes

Kenny is really into birds, so he spends quite a bit of time on transects in this position

A whistling thorn acacia, a very common plant on the conservancy - those thorns are no joke!

Isaack showing Kenny a bird, undoubtedly

We've had a few really cold and windy mornings, as evidenced by Ella's attire

Fire measuring a bone

Me with Isaack giving the thumbs up

Isaack is full of amazing information about the African bush. He showed us aardvark dung, which glitters (hard to see here) because of all the insects they eat.

Crushed up glittering aardvark poop

At the end of every 1 kilometer bone transect, before we turn around and walk the same transect back to the car (we often find bones we missed on the way out), Kari cracks open a can of Coke. We all enjoy this ritual now.

This was an impala skull we found in a grassy hole

I like taking photos of our car with the landscape

Mount Kenya has been hiding behind clouds a lot, but we've had a few good views of it recently

We all enjoy the animals we see on the drives to and from the transects, along with those we see while actually walking the transects.

Black-backed jackal - there are a lot of these around these days. We saw one loping off with the leg of a Thompson's gazelle in it's mouth a few days ago!

Elephant and buffalo

Elands, one of the largest antelopes in Africa

A giraffe attempting to hide behind a tree

Zebra - did I mention that there are a lot of zebra?

A warthog striking a pose

This is a waterbuck - Fire's favorite animal out here


Spotted hyenas hanging out at their den - we saw two little cubs that were so cute!


We finally saw a lion today - the light wasn't great for a photo, but he was a pretty impressive male

While we are out doing bone transects, Toby is having fun playing with Lucy (his nanny) and her daughter Kristen who often comes with her to take care of him.

Lucy and Toby with their LEGO city

Lucy, Kristen, and Toby
My birthday was last week - and Fire, Ella, and Kari made it awesome. We bought three boxes of brownie mix in town so everyone could celebrate with us (I mentioned previously that there is a group of volunteers here), and Fire bought fun straws to have fun drinks with. The kitchen staff decorated the cake and brought it out - with the candles that Fire saved from 2011 when we also celebrated my birthday here - singing happy birthday and "Jambo Bwana", which is basically a Kenyan tourist pop song, which I really enjoyed.

Toby and me with our fun straw

My birthday "cake"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

moonshine (the celestial kind)

I was going to write about our excavations, but I had to change topics after the spectacular moonrise we had this evening. It's a full moon tonight (or nearly so), and early this evening this soft glowing orange orb was visible just above the horizon after sunset, rising ever higher, and becoming ever brighter, into the starry night sky. There is nothing like watching a moonrise in the African bush. I would have taken a picture of it after it rose, but I don't have the photographic expertise - here's one I took of the full moonrise last year. Last night, the moon was so bright that when I got up in the middle of the night to pee (a sign I'm keeping well hydrated!), it was casting shadows everywhere, and I didn't even need my flashlight. It's perfectly gorgeous. The moon isn't the only gorgeous thing here - beauty can be found growing delicately among the rocks, or singing a song in the trees, in the form of a colorful red and yellow barbet.

D minus a week and a day

I'm leaving for my annual migration to Kenya soon, just like the wildebeest.... well, only there's a few million less of me than there are of them. Also, I'd like to think I run in a few less circles than they do, given that they spend their year basically making a big circle between Kenya and Tanzania in the Serengeti/Mara ecosystem (though that's debatable!). I'm going through my usual 'I'm leaving soon' routine: getting together with friends who want to spend a little time before I leave for a few months; making sure I can take care of all my (as my fab friend Fire calls it) "personal admin" online while I'm gone - banking, paying utilities, etc.; adding things to the duffel bag I keep stocked during the rest of the year with my 'going to Kenya' things. It's always hectic, and no matter how well I plan - and those of you who know me know I plan! - there's always a lot to do at the last minute. So it's D (departure) mi

the proposal

Well I was going to start at the beginning of Peter's visit to Kenya, and build up the anticipation and waiting, but several of my friends have clamored for me to tell them about the proposal. So here it is...! After this, I'll go back to the beginning of Peter's visit, and go forward from there. It was a dark and stormy night. Just kidding! But actually, it was a dark and stormy afternoon. Earlier that day, we had taken a dhow trip; a dhow is a traditional Swahili fishing boat, and taking day-long dhow trips is one of the more common ways to spend a day in Lamu. Here's a picture of a smaller dhow, named Hakuna Matata (yes that really does mean no problems in Kiswahili and people really do say it), which I venture to think had a bit of a matata since it was grounded in the sand and looked relatively unused. But let me back up just briefly... Peter had been visiting me in Kenya for about a week at that point. We'd spent several days in the excavation camp, which I wi