Skip to main content

Visiting Olorgesailie

On Sunday, we left for an overnight trip to Olorgesailie. This is a prehistoric site in southern Kenya where I helped run the excavations and camp for 6 years, from 2004-2010. I was really excited to see many of the Kenyan excavators again, some of whom I haven't seen for many years, as well as for Toby to have his first experience at a real archaeological site - and sleeping in a tent!

We (me, Toby, and Ella) first took a taxi to a place called The Hub in Karen, a suburb of Nairobi. The Hub's tag line "more than a mall" is a very appropriate description. There's a place inside the mall similar to a Chuck E. Cheese that was pretty amazing to see. Toby thoroughly enjoyed it! In between the playing, we had a delicious brunch.

This is basically Kenya's version of Chuck E. Cheese

This was kind of like an electronic whack-a-mole game

Toby was really good at this car racing game - he kept winning free games!

There were kid-sized motorized cars to drive around the open plaza area (for a few bucks of course)

Toby with the Hub mascot


After finishing up at the Hub, we met up with Mercy and headed south to Olorgesailie. Toby spent a good amount of time reading or sleeping in the car, but he also really enjoyed the amazing views of the Rift Valley as we drive down into it. (Sorry, I didn't get any photos of the views.)

Toby reading Calvin and Hobbes in the back of the car

Toby snoozing on my leg in the back of the car

Finally, we made it - Olorgesailie!

Toby immediately started throwing carbonate rocks off the side of Camp Cliff

Me and Toby at the end of Camp Cliff

Nice view, eh?

Toby checks out our home for the night (a tent)

Toby exploring

Toby learning the bathroom ("choo") flag system - if the flag is up, the bathroom is occupied. If it's down, the coast is clear.

We had a delicious dinner, but given that it was late compared to Toby's bedtime, we beelined for the  tent as soon as dinner was over and he slept like a rock all night. (Unfortunately I had a fever and sore throat so did not sleep well - the fever is gone, but the sore throat is lingering still.)

The next morning, I spent a little time meeting with my boss, Rick, who is also the head of the research project here. Then we headed out to visit the two active excavations: one at Olorgesailie (Hyena Hill), and another one about half an hour south in an area called Ol Doinyo Nyokie (which we usually just call Nyokie).

The row of tents on camp cliff, with Toby and Mercy playing

Me doing some light reading inside our tent

Toby loved riding in the back of the Land Cruiser, getting super dusty

Visiting an excavation at Hyena Hill - my boss and the project director, Rick, is in the center of the photo

Toby helped look for fossils in the screen at Hyena Hill

Toby digging (in a safely out of the way area) at Hyena Hill

You can see the main excavation further up the hill

Toby was disappointed not to find any bones, but still enjoyed the experience

Here Toby is using a brush on the hillside

Some local Masaai cows paid us a visit at Hyena Hill

Toby really enjoyed all the dust devil activity at Nyokie

Walking across the landscape with Jenny (left), Ella (middle) and Toby (right) to visit Nyokie

We got to Nyokie as the excavators were finishing for the day

Mativo explaining the excavation to Toby - Mativo had dinner at our house 4 years ago when he visited the US to participate in the Smithsonian Folklife Festival, but Toby was too young then to remember him now

Toby was very excited when Mativo carefully picked him up and lowered him into the excavation after he took his shoes off so he wouldn't accidentally step on any fossils (standard rule)

Mativo racing Toby back to the vehicles

The visit was really wonderful, and worth the nearly 3 hour drive back to Nairobi (since we hit rush hour traffic).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

D minus a week and a day

I'm leaving for my annual migration to Kenya soon, just like the wildebeest.... well, only there's a few million less of me than there are of them. Also, I'd like to think I run in a few less circles than they do, given that they spend their year basically making a big circle between Kenya and Tanzania in the Serengeti/Mara ecosystem (though that's debatable!). I'm going through my usual 'I'm leaving soon' routine: getting together with friends who want to spend a little time before I leave for a few months; making sure I can take care of all my (as my fab friend Fire calls it) "personal admin" online while I'm gone - banking, paying utilities, etc.; adding things to the duffel bag I keep stocked during the rest of the year with my 'going to Kenya' things. It's always hectic, and no matter how well I plan - and those of you who know me know I plan! - there's always a lot to do at the last minute. So it's D (departure) mi

moonshine (the celestial kind)

I was going to write about our excavations, but I had to change topics after the spectacular moonrise we had this evening. It's a full moon tonight (or nearly so), and early this evening this soft glowing orange orb was visible just above the horizon after sunset, rising ever higher, and becoming ever brighter, into the starry night sky. There is nothing like watching a moonrise in the African bush. I would have taken a picture of it after it rose, but I don't have the photographic expertise - here's one I took of the full moonrise last year. Last night, the moon was so bright that when I got up in the middle of the night to pee (a sign I'm keeping well hydrated!), it was casting shadows everywhere, and I didn't even need my flashlight. It's perfectly gorgeous. The moon isn't the only gorgeous thing here - beauty can be found growing delicately among the rocks, or singing a song in the trees, in the form of a colorful red and yellow barbet.

the ring

Since a few of you asked... it's not the greatest photo, but here it is. I love it!