Skip to main content

Baby elephants, giraffes, and sushi - oh my!

We had a productive, tiring, and really fun weekend!

We spent Saturday basically doing errands. We basically walked across downtown Nairobi in the morning to go to a repair shop to try to fix a wireless modem (no luck), and we spent the afternoon at one of the local malls (the Sarit Center) getting a new wireless modem, going grocery shopping, etc.

A view of a Nairobi street from a pedestrian bridge

We walked by a large market downtown

Someone has opinions about mangoes, which we eat most nights for dessert

Sunday was the fun day. First we went to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust Elephant Orphanage, where we got to pet baby elephants! I have been so excited to do this with Toby. We happened to be right near where the elephants walk to get to where they are fed bottles of milk and tree branches, so Toby got to touch one little one when it was walking in, and most of the group of 10 slightly older ones when they were done eating and left to forage in the bush for the day. It's only open to the public from 11am-12pm each day, and it was totally mobbed today, but I'm still glad we went.

Seems like a reasonable warning


The elephants are coming in to eat!


One elephant went a little off the main path and right by Toby, so got to pet it

Yay baby elephants!

They drink milk from their bottles like it's their jobs! Oh, wait...

They also eat tree branches

This little one seemed to like lying in the dirt

Elephants at play

This one kept waving one ear at a time

I couldn't help thinking about the elephant hokey pokey: "you put your right ear in, you take you right ear out, you put your right ear in, and you shake it all about..."

The second group came in about 2/3 of the way through the hour - slightly older babies

The bigger babies and their keepers - each has a special keeper who takes care of it

Yum yum tree branches

Chomp

As the second group left, we made our way to where they were walking. I was trying to get the Toby petting the parade of elephants on video, but one walked right behind me and rubbed my back and I got so startled that I forgot to push play on the video! I'm glad I got this photo at least.

Then we went to a lovely nearby restaurant and art gallery called Matbronze for lunch.

Bronze sculptures all around

They had really amazing art

Toby really liked this seahorse sculpture

Toby with a larger than life sculpture of a pair of crested cranes, one of my favorite East African birds

He spent quite a bit of time looking at everything

He was very intrigued by this elephant head sculpture with eyes that changed colors. "But mom, where's the body?"

Lunch: a burger and salad for mom, pizza and a smoothie for Toby


After that, we went to the African Fund for Endangered Wildlife Giraffe Center, where you can feed giraffes! I've also been so excited to do this with Toby.

Details of who's who

Getting ready to go feed the giraffes!

First giraffe pellet, down the hatch!

"Mom, that was awesome!"

Not your usual view of a giraffe

Toby also enjoyed petting this giraffe's neck

Check out that amazing, long, slimy giraffe tongue!

He kept bouncing over to me with excitement after each time he fed a giraffe

More feeding

There's a giraffe behind us


Whew, that was fun!

Adult giraffe with 6 year old human for scale


We got home mid-afternoon, and relaxed for a few hours. Then we went to what is probably my favorite restaurant in Nairobi: Furusato Japanese Restaurant! That might seem like an odd choice, but they have really delicious sushi, especially their tuna avocado soyuae - which  is sort of famous among those of us who come to Nairobi to do prehistory research. Given Toby's bedtime and Nairobi rush hour traffic the likelihood of us going out to dinner on a weeknight is slim (except to the restaurants at the two hotels within close walking distance), so I figured Sunday night would be the best option. We were joined by my friends/colleagues Katie, Jen, Tom, and Shara.  It was a great way to end the weekend, even if the evening started with Toby putting his napkin on his head. (To be fair, I suggested he try it.)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

moonshine (the celestial kind)

I was going to write about our excavations, but I had to change topics after the spectacular moonrise we had this evening. It's a full moon tonight (or nearly so), and early this evening this soft glowing orange orb was visible just above the horizon after sunset, rising ever higher, and becoming ever brighter, into the starry night sky. There is nothing like watching a moonrise in the African bush. I would have taken a picture of it after it rose, but I don't have the photographic expertise - here's one I took of the full moonrise last year. Last night, the moon was so bright that when I got up in the middle of the night to pee (a sign I'm keeping well hydrated!), it was casting shadows everywhere, and I didn't even need my flashlight. It's perfectly gorgeous. The moon isn't the only gorgeous thing here - beauty can be found growing delicately among the rocks, or singing a song in the trees, in the form of a colorful red and yellow barbet.

D minus a week and a day

I'm leaving for my annual migration to Kenya soon, just like the wildebeest.... well, only there's a few million less of me than there are of them. Also, I'd like to think I run in a few less circles than they do, given that they spend their year basically making a big circle between Kenya and Tanzania in the Serengeti/Mara ecosystem (though that's debatable!). I'm going through my usual 'I'm leaving soon' routine: getting together with friends who want to spend a little time before I leave for a few months; making sure I can take care of all my (as my fab friend Fire calls it) "personal admin" online while I'm gone - banking, paying utilities, etc.; adding things to the duffel bag I keep stocked during the rest of the year with my 'going to Kenya' things. It's always hectic, and no matter how well I plan - and those of you who know me know I plan! - there's always a lot to do at the last minute. So it's D (departure) mi

the proposal

Well I was going to start at the beginning of Peter's visit to Kenya, and build up the anticipation and waiting, but several of my friends have clamored for me to tell them about the proposal. So here it is...! After this, I'll go back to the beginning of Peter's visit, and go forward from there. It was a dark and stormy night. Just kidding! But actually, it was a dark and stormy afternoon. Earlier that day, we had taken a dhow trip; a dhow is a traditional Swahili fishing boat, and taking day-long dhow trips is one of the more common ways to spend a day in Lamu. Here's a picture of a smaller dhow, named Hakuna Matata (yes that really does mean no problems in Kiswahili and people really do say it), which I venture to think had a bit of a matata since it was grounded in the sand and looked relatively unused. But let me back up just briefly... Peter had been visiting me in Kenya for about a week at that point. We'd spent several days in the excavation camp, which I wi