Skip to main content

A Kenyan taxi adventure

Whoops, has it really been about 3 weeks since I wrote a post? I've just been working on fossils in the museum, nothing too exciting to report. Except that I have almost 55,000 fossils in my database. That's a *lot* of broken bits of bone. :)

On the recommendation of a colleague who lives here, I found a great OB and had an appointment with her last week. She was very thorough and friendly. The next day I went for my gestational diabetes test (standard at this point in pregnancy - 25 weeks down, 15 to go!), which came back negative. Then the day after that I had a sonogram, as advice from the home docs was to have one every month of possible. (I have uterine fibroids and they just want to make sure the baby's not too crowded in there.) Sonograms are great - getting to see your baby moving around, hear that everything is normal (breathe a big sigh of relief), and getting to see a glimpse of what they actually look like.


The doc remarked on his "prominent nose" (seen better in profile), which is more likely to come from Peter's side of the family, but so far consensus is that he has my nose in this picture.

Anyway, it's hard not to focus on the baby - a colleague of mine from back home (Nancy) has her 10 month old son here, so I've been peppering her with questions about kid-in-Kenya logistics, and she's been great!

Tomorrow morning another adventure begins; it's time to go to the field! My U.K.colleagues Fire and Nick arrived this morning; they're upstairs sleeping off the overnight flight from London, but I'll be waking them up soon to shower and head off for lunch, shopping and errands. Speaking of adventures, here's a great Kenya cab adventure they had this morning....

I arranged for a taxi to pick them up at the airport for their 6:30 am arrival. I gave the taxi driver their names to make a sign, and gave them his phone number in case they couldn't find him. Well, Fire's legal name is Kris, and she saw a taxi driver holding sign for "Kris" when they exited the arrivals area, so she  assumed this was the guy. They put their bags in his car, and the taxi driver gave them some Kenyan shillings for their breakfast (which they thought was odd, since the arrangement was for them to come to the flat where I'm staying so they could nap and shower, then we'd go off for lunch etc.) The driver said "Yes, this is the money Bernice said to give you for breakfast at Java House, where we'll go directly from here." Quizzical looks."You mean, Briana?" "No, Bernice." At this point, they realized... they were in the wrong taxi! They managed to find the right taxi driver (who was holding a sign for Fire and Nick), but we don't know if the first taxi driver managed to find his passengers. Anyway, I was relieved when Fire sent me a text letting me know that she and Nick were in the taxi on their way, and that she had a great taxi story for me. Fire has been here before, but it's Nick's first visit to the African continent, so I think they're both a little nervous for him. So far, so good. Welcome to Kenya!

I am going to make an effort to post more often from the field - I think there'll be more photos and stories to share once we're up there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

moonshine (the celestial kind)

I was going to write about our excavations, but I had to change topics after the spectacular moonrise we had this evening. It's a full moon tonight (or nearly so), and early this evening this soft glowing orange orb was visible just above the horizon after sunset, rising ever higher, and becoming ever brighter, into the starry night sky. There is nothing like watching a moonrise in the African bush. I would have taken a picture of it after it rose, but I don't have the photographic expertise - here's one I took of the full moonrise last year. Last night, the moon was so bright that when I got up in the middle of the night to pee (a sign I'm keeping well hydrated!), it was casting shadows everywhere, and I didn't even need my flashlight. It's perfectly gorgeous. The moon isn't the only gorgeous thing here - beauty can be found growing delicately among the rocks, or singing a song in the trees, in the form of a colorful red and yellow barbet.

D minus a week and a day

I'm leaving for my annual migration to Kenya soon, just like the wildebeest.... well, only there's a few million less of me than there are of them. Also, I'd like to think I run in a few less circles than they do, given that they spend their year basically making a big circle between Kenya and Tanzania in the Serengeti/Mara ecosystem (though that's debatable!). I'm going through my usual 'I'm leaving soon' routine: getting together with friends who want to spend a little time before I leave for a few months; making sure I can take care of all my (as my fab friend Fire calls it) "personal admin" online while I'm gone - banking, paying utilities, etc.; adding things to the duffel bag I keep stocked during the rest of the year with my 'going to Kenya' things. It's always hectic, and no matter how well I plan - and those of you who know me know I plan! - there's always a lot to do at the last minute. So it's D (departure) mi

the proposal

Well I was going to start at the beginning of Peter's visit to Kenya, and build up the anticipation and waiting, but several of my friends have clamored for me to tell them about the proposal. So here it is...! After this, I'll go back to the beginning of Peter's visit, and go forward from there. It was a dark and stormy night. Just kidding! But actually, it was a dark and stormy afternoon. Earlier that day, we had taken a dhow trip; a dhow is a traditional Swahili fishing boat, and taking day-long dhow trips is one of the more common ways to spend a day in Lamu. Here's a picture of a smaller dhow, named Hakuna Matata (yes that really does mean no problems in Kiswahili and people really do say it), which I venture to think had a bit of a matata since it was grounded in the sand and looked relatively unused. But let me back up just briefly... Peter had been visiting me in Kenya for about a week at that point. We'd spent several days in the excavation camp, which I wi