Skip to main content

brakes. so overrated.

Up at 7:00 am, packed and ready to drive to another country!

I had a little Kenya research project business to do at the museum before picking up Will, who thoughtfully grabbed us lunch provisions from the swanky breakfast buffet at his hotel - I was laughing at the image of him wrapping bacon sandwiches and apple-stuffed pastries in napkins and sneaking them under his jacket. We stopped by the ATM, fueled up my car, and off we went!

Off-course, that is. The road from Nairobi (Kenya) to Arusha (Tanzania) is currently being repaired, and the turn off to that road from the road to Mombasa (Kenya) wasn't marked. So we went 22 km past where we needed to turn. Oops.

Then, things got a little... harder. I was finding it harder to stop, because... my brakes went out. Yikes!! I stopped at a gas station and checked the brake fluid... which was gone. Well, at least that's a fairly easy thing to fix, right? Just add more brake fluid. Which I did. Ah, brakes again! But, unfortunately, there must have been a leak in the brake line, because soon enough, I lost the brakes again. *sigh* I'm actually pretty good at driving without brakes (more on that later), but it made it challenging to cross the Kenya-Tanzania border, because we had to make several stops. Not only did we have to stop at Kenyan immigration to exit, and Tanzania immigration to enter, but I had to make three extra stops: 1) temporarily exporting my car from Kenya (just filling out a little paperwork); 2) temporarily importing my car to Tanzania (which involves $20, more paperwork, leaving my original log book (=car title) on the border, which always makes me a little queasy); and 3) paying for Tanzanian car insurance for the time we would be there. The second part involved having to photocopy my passport and the temporary importation form, too. The whole thing took over an hour, and several creative ways of slowing down and parking. Did I mention my parking brake wasn't working either?

So we finally left the border town of Namanga, and were on our way! Will resumed map duty, and was trying to figure out what mountains we were looking at: Meru? Longido? Kilimanjaro? The scenery was great, but we saw very few wild animals. The road was great in some sections - a Chinese company is repairing it, and the new parts are heavenly! The parts they are still working on, though - those are dusty and bumpy.

We made it to Arusha *just* before dark - phew! Phew because I found out the hard way that my headlights aren't working either. Ah, my car. Anyway, Will continued to demonstrate his map-reading skills into the wee hours of dusk, and we made it to the hotel and met up with some of the key players in the Tanzanian story: Cindy, Brian, Seth, and Sarah. Cindy is a geologist, and just so happens to be my closest friend. Cindy and I met doing fieldwork in Tanzania 11 years ago, when we were in our early days in graduate school, and have seen each other through all kinds of life's ups and downs. Then there's Brian, who is also a geologist at the same university where Cindy works. [More details omitted for the sake of google searches.] Seth is Cindy's undergraduate student, and Sarah is a geology graduate student at the university where Cindy and I both got our PhDs. Will and I dropped our bags in our rooms, jumped in the shower, and we all headed out for great Indian food with my old friend Lupo.

Lupo... is a real character. We met about 9 years ago when I was doing some of my PhD research in Tanzania. Lupo was born in Tanzania but is of Italian descent; he and his dad Emilio used to run an Italian restaurant in Arusha called Mambo that my PhD advisor Rob's student John used to rent an office in. (Did you follow all that?) Anyway, since Rob and John used to hang out in Mambo all the time, Lupo and I got to be friends, and I started to stay with him and Emilio every time I came through Arusha. Anyway, fast-forward 9 years, and Lupo and I are still good friends, the kind of friends who can not talk for months and then pick up right where we left off, diving deep into the corners of each other's lives and sharing great stories. (And he and his dad still cook some killer Italian food!) Now Lupo is a "PH": a professional hunter. He loves being in the bush; he loves tracking animals -- but not the killing them part. It's a job that lets him be in the place he loves to be.

Anyway, I digress. It's time to get going. After a late breakfast to start off a fairly relaxing Sunday, during which Lupo's mechanic worked on my brakes and reinforcing my left rear axle (a car part that will play a much larger role in my next blog post), a shower, a nap, and a discussion of the logistics and plans for tomorrow and our first few days in the field, my rare "rest" day was ending. We were all getting excited about getting out to the field tomorrow. Lake Natron, here we come!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the proposal

Well I was going to start at the beginning of Peter's visit to Kenya, and build up the anticipation and waiting, but several of my friends have clamored for me to tell them about the proposal. So here it is...! After this, I'll go back to the beginning of Peter's visit, and go forward from there. It was a dark and stormy night. Just kidding! But actually, it was a dark and stormy afternoon. Earlier that day, we had taken a dhow trip; a dhow is a traditional Swahili fishing boat, and taking day-long dhow trips is one of the more common ways to spend a day in Lamu. Here's a picture of a smaller dhow, named Hakuna Matata (yes that really does mean no problems in Kiswahili and people really do say it), which I venture to think had a bit of a matata since it was grounded in the sand and looked relatively unused. But let me back up just briefly... Peter had been visiting me in Kenya for about a week at that point. We'd spent several days in the excavation camp, which I wi

the ring

Since a few of you asked... it's not the greatest photo, but here it is. I love it!

Baby elephants, giraffes, and sushi - oh my!

We had a productive, tiring, and really fun weekend! We spent Saturday basically doing errands. We basically walked across downtown Nairobi in the morning to go to a repair shop to try to fix a wireless modem (no luck), and we spent the afternoon at one of the local malls (the Sarit Center) getting a new wireless modem, going grocery shopping, etc. A view of a Nairobi street from a pedestrian bridge We walked by a large market downtown Someone has opinions about mangoes, which we eat most nights for dessert Sunday was the fun day. First we went to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust Elephant Orphanage , where we got to pet baby elephants! I have been so excited to do this with Toby. We happened to be right near where the elephants walk to get to where they are fed bottles of milk and tree branches, so Toby got to touch one little one when it was walking in, and most of the group of 10 slightly older ones when they were done eating and left to forage in the bush for