Skip to main content

The Monkey Ate My Buns

We left Nairobi yestoday - not too early. We had breakfast at a nearby hotel to fortify us for the drive, loaded the vehicle, and... blast off! Here's Fire ready to hop in.


Let me mention that there's a lot of road construction going in Nairobi. It also turns out that there's a lot of road construction going on on the road we take out of Nairobi towards Nanyuki (the nearest town to the place we're doing our research, Ol Pejeta Conservancy), the Thika road. It was quite a bumpy trip for the first hour or so. The other thing that was different about our trip this year is because I sold my own Land Cruiser last summer (http://safaribriana.blogspot.com/2010/06/end-of-vehicular-era.html), we rented a Land Cruiser. And because it's a rental vehicle, it's technically a commercial vehicle. And a few years ago, a new regulation was instituted: all commercial vehicles need to be fitted with speed governors, which are devices that cut out the fuel that goes to the engine at a certain speed. Here, it's 80 kilometers per hour. So our trip was a bit slower than usual.

But the good news is we had no car trouble on the way, and we got to our first stop within about 3.5 hours: The Trout Tree. This is a trout farm just outside of Nanyuki that has a delicious and tranquil restaurant on site, and we have a tradition of eating there  either on the way to the field site, or as we're on our way back to Nairobi at the end of the field season. Here are Fire and I relaxing during lunch.



Well, usually the restaurant is tranquil, but we had a bit of a kerfuffle this time... there are two kinds of monkeys that hang around the restaurant (besides the tree hyraxes, in the next photo): blue monkeys and black and white colobus.


The blue monkeys tended to keep their distance, but one of the black and white colobus wasn't being particularly shy. All of a sudden I see a flash of black and white, and the monkeys is ON our table! It grabbed two of the breadrolls (the only food on the table so far) in it's mouth, and knocked over all of our drinks. My instant mental reaction was "bitten by monkey = bad", which led to a physical reaction of jumping up and moving away from the table. Nick had a more valiant reaction, and seeing that the monkey had then sat down on the table and was staring at us, he basically shoved it off the table. After all this ruckus, it finally moved off into a nearby tree, chewing the rolls (or buns). and proceeded to have a snooze. Hence - the monkey ate my buns.


Later on, he jumped up onto an empty table and became fascinated with the salt shaker, opening it up, dumping some salt on the table, and licking it off.



Apparently, the monkeys haven't read this sign.



After all that excitement, we hopped back in the car and headed into the conservancy, with just a quick stop at the equator so Nick could get his picture with the sign (Fire and I have been there, done that).



We had a lovely game drive between the gate and the research center, where we're staying. We saw lots of bovids (antelopes): hartebeest, Thomson's gazelle, Grant's gazelle, and impala. We also saw warthog, zebra, and several kinds of birds: kori bustard, yellow-necked spur fowl, and guinea fowl (which have a special place in my heart since Peter did his PhD working with them). As a special treat, we also saw four white rhino, wallowing in a mud hole. Exciting! One of the Big Five down, four to go. :)

No elephants yet, but this sign near Elephant Bridge (over the Ewasi Nyiro River, which runs through the western part of the conservancy) always makes me smile.


It was great to arrive at the research center (a little after 4pm); it's a place I really like, and I've spent nearly a year here, cumulatively, starting in 2002 when I was here for about 8 months doing some of my PhD research studying how carnivores damage bones when they eat their prey. They have done some repainting and redecorating, and totally renovated the kitchen. However, on a practical level, there didn't seem to be a plan of what we were going to eat for dinner. We didn't bring a lot of food with us (just a few random things); I assumed since we let the conservancy staff know we'd be arriving in the later afternoon that they'd have made arrangements for the research center cooks to make us dinner. After much discussion, some of it in fast-paced Swahili so I couldn't quite follow it, we were confident that something would be worked out - and later on we had a delicious dinner of lentils, rice, and tomato and avocado salad. The only people around the research center this afternoon was a Princeton graduate student named Jennifer, who is doing a pilot study for her PhD on how the cows grazing in the reserve affect the wildlife, and Geoff, who runs the Earthwatch project here (http://www.earthwatch.org/exped/wahungu.html)

We spent the rest of the afternoon unpacking and getting ourselves organized, and Fire and I had a post-dinner discussion about research goals, methods, strategies, etc. until we both got too tired to think straight anymore. Then, it was bedtime.

** Thanks to Nick - I usually only post my own photos, but this post contains his photos.

Comments

Dan McLerran said…
Briana,

Thanks for "taking me along" with you through this blog and blog post. I'm sure there are others who feel the same way!

Dan McLerran

Popular posts from this blog

moonshine (the celestial kind)

I was going to write about our excavations, but I had to change topics after the spectacular moonrise we had this evening. It's a full moon tonight (or nearly so), and early this evening this soft glowing orange orb was visible just above the horizon after sunset, rising ever higher, and becoming ever brighter, into the starry night sky. There is nothing like watching a moonrise in the African bush. I would have taken a picture of it after it rose, but I don't have the photographic expertise - here's one I took of the full moonrise last year. Last night, the moon was so bright that when I got up in the middle of the night to pee (a sign I'm keeping well hydrated!), it was casting shadows everywhere, and I didn't even need my flashlight. It's perfectly gorgeous. The moon isn't the only gorgeous thing here - beauty can be found growing delicately among the rocks, or singing a song in the trees, in the form of a colorful red and yellow barbet.

the proposal

Well I was going to start at the beginning of Peter's visit to Kenya, and build up the anticipation and waiting, but several of my friends have clamored for me to tell them about the proposal. So here it is...! After this, I'll go back to the beginning of Peter's visit, and go forward from there. It was a dark and stormy night. Just kidding! But actually, it was a dark and stormy afternoon. Earlier that day, we had taken a dhow trip; a dhow is a traditional Swahili fishing boat, and taking day-long dhow trips is one of the more common ways to spend a day in Lamu. Here's a picture of a smaller dhow, named Hakuna Matata (yes that really does mean no problems in Kiswahili and people really do say it), which I venture to think had a bit of a matata since it was grounded in the sand and looked relatively unused. But let me back up just briefly... Peter had been visiting me in Kenya for about a week at that point. We'd spent several days in the excavation camp, which I wi

D minus a week and a day

I'm leaving for my annual migration to Kenya soon, just like the wildebeest.... well, only there's a few million less of me than there are of them. Also, I'd like to think I run in a few less circles than they do, given that they spend their year basically making a big circle between Kenya and Tanzania in the Serengeti/Mara ecosystem (though that's debatable!). I'm going through my usual 'I'm leaving soon' routine: getting together with friends who want to spend a little time before I leave for a few months; making sure I can take care of all my (as my fab friend Fire calls it) "personal admin" online while I'm gone - banking, paying utilities, etc.; adding things to the duffel bag I keep stocked during the rest of the year with my 'going to Kenya' things. It's always hectic, and no matter how well I plan - and those of you who know me know I plan! - there's always a lot to do at the last minute. So it's D (departure) mi